Investment Properties Info
Home New Info Insider Tips Resources Guide
Investment In Real Estate
The Property The Loan The Financing Research Where to Buy The Analysis Your Credit Negotiating Foreclosures
Related Articles

Taking Out Equity

How to Invest in a Changing Market

Three Ways to Survive a Downturn

Estimate Properties Current Market Value

Reverse Mortgages


Facts & Figures - Maine

Property taxes for the state of Maine.

Property taxes in The Pine Tree State are separated into two units: Municipal Services and Unorganized Territory. The difference between the two—other than how they are taxed—is that Unorganized Territory (UT) is the area of Maine that has no local, incorporated municipal government. As a result, the Maine Legislature serves as the “local governing body” for the UT, since it reviews and approves budgets from state agencies and county government for the purposes of administering services and property taxes.

In other words, taxes in UT are assessed, levied, and collected by the state tax assessor, while taxes in Municipal Services are handled directly at the local level (although all assessors are governed by state statutes).

The UT also includes 400 townships and several coastal islands that are outside municipal bounds, a total land mass that equals over one half the area of the entire state of Maine. To read more about property tax division, such as assessor agents and full value tax rates, click here.

Homestead exemptions are available to homeowners who have owned their homestead in Maine for at least 12 months and have made their property their primary place of residence by April 1. This exemption is worth up to $13,000 on the assessed value of the property.

Veterans can receive an exemption of $5,000 if they are 62 years or older, are receiving 100% disability as a veteran, or became 100% disabled while serving. Those who are legally blind may receive a $4,000 exemption.

A partial refund of property taxes and/or rent paid on a primary residence may be afforded to qualified taxpayers under the Circuit Breaker program that begins August 1, 2008. All you have to do is apply for a refund—maximum refund is $2,000—on property taxes and/or rent paid during 2007. You qualify if:

  • You don’t have a spouse or a dependent and if your 2006 household income was $80,750 or less; or
  • You do have a spouse or dependent and your 2006 household income $105,750 or less
  • Your 2006 property tax was greater than 4% of your 2006 household income; or
  • Your rent paid in 2006 exceeded 20% of your 2006 household income.

Maine Department of Revenue



Privacy Policy | Terms & Conditions | Site Map | Contact Us | About Us | Partners | Advertising
© 2018 All rights reserved.